What is it?
Application of the methodology developed in SESAM project, for lightening structures using topological optimization, design for additive, manufacturing and lattice structure.
Objective & context
For lightening the suspension arm, the following steps were driven:
- Original sheet metal welded suspension arm analysis
- Design space definition for topological optimization. The optimization consists of minimizing the weight by constraining some displacements, stresses, frequency responses and the additive manufacturability
- Design reconstruction for additive manufacturing: interpreting topological optimization results using Ossmooth and Inspire 2018
- Tightening structures with an infill of lattice structure using Materialize 3-matic
- Prototyping the design by using 3D printing for validating the manufacturability
- Subcontracting the additive manufacturing of the latticed structure using SLM process
Internal tests for the moment.
Added value & customer benefits
Minimizing the weight of the structure, decreasing the consumption of energy and limiting the CO2 emission.